Monday 14 June 2010

Kabigting's Halo Halo


It was one lazy summer afternoon when I decided to drive to San Fernando, Pampanga, for, um, nothing. I was walking around Robinson Starmills when I chanced upon a tiny halo halo place at the far side of the food court. I thought I'd give it a try. Little did I know that what I was eating was the famous Kabigting's Halo Halo. I immediately got hooked.

We at the DHRIM used to love Razon's and were thrilled when they opened a branch at UP Ayala Technohub. But we've only been there a couple of times, I think. We aren't really that fussed anymore with Razon's. Still trying to get the guys to try Banang's Halo Halo Ice Cream in San Juan but every time we drop by their ice cream machine is still under repair.

Kabigting's only have three branches: Robinson's Starmills in San Fernando, Marquee Mall in Angeles City and the original shop in Arayat, Pampanga. Far, but well worth the trip.

They also have pansit luglog (PhP 40/order) which is probably the best one I've ever had. Certainly better than Via Mare's.

We spoke to the guy running the Marquee Mall branch and he said they are open to franchising (PhP 400,000 per store) but I think these things should be kept small. I was watching a program on a French candy store in Brittany and the owner said that they have run the shop for three generations but never felt the need to make more than what they have always done. They never bothered buying machines to speed up production and are convinced that hand-made candies taste better. Quite agree! The more accessible a product is, the more common it becomes. Then it starts losing its charm. I hope the people behind Kabigting's would reconsider not to branch out and keep it a family business.


No comments: