Thursday 19 February 2009

Der Vorleser


I can say I had no expectations whatsoever when I saw this film. I didn't know what it was about and boy I was surprised that I absolutely enjoyed it!

The movie poster led me to think that this might be one of those annoying Nights in Rodanthe-type flicks I can't stand. I'm so glad it turned out to be much, much more substantial.

It was about a law student who, after nearly a decade of his affair with a mysterious woman, re-encounters his former lover as she faced charges in a war-crime trial.
The performances were so exquisitely crafted and moving, with such great insight into human frailties and and faults.

I read somewhere that Kate Winslet had been nominated for an Oscar about 427 times so far. Come on. Give this one to her. Go on. Having said that, I must say my favourite Winslet performance was when she played herself in Ricky Gervais' Extras.

The Reader was directed by Stephen Daldry. Stars Kate Winslet, Ralph Fiennes and David Kross.

Go and watch it!

No comments: